I was texting with Mom about Easter plans and about dyeing eggs with my kiddo and she said “With the left over dye you could dye a yarn blank.” Well that makes sense, I thought. I have dyed yarn with cake icing color and Kool aid, why not try egg dye?
Inspired by this video by ChemKnits, I felt like a cake dye would be most fun.
KnitPicks Bare – Sport Weight – 75% superwash Merino wool, 25% Nylon
274 yards/100 grams each
The dyes: PAAS egg dye tablets
First, egg dyeing. Can’t steal focus from kiddo’s fun.
Then, Presoak 30 minutes: 1.25 gallons water, 1.4 cups white vinegar, two 100 gram skeins
I had bought two egg kits at the store for different techniques and accessories. But we didn’t need the duplicate tablets.
I also saved some of the leftover egg dye. I figure, it’s pre-dissolved, but it’s just vinegar, water and dye.
Following ChemKnits’ idea, I jammed one and a half tablets into each cake of yarn. For the record, I think it’s 1 pellet of strawberry red plus half a pellet of pink in one, and 1 purple and half a pink in the other.
I jammed them in the middle, covering the gap with yarn. There’s a reason I picked reddish hues for the middle. I read somewhere that red dye would pick up faster into the yarn than blue. This might be crucial, because in the middle they will get less exposure to the bath and may dissolve slower. At least, that’s my thinking.
I poured some leftover, pre-dissolved stuff around the middle region of each ball and squeezed to move the dye through. (Purple on the one with the red center, blue on the one with a purple center).
Then I put them in the dye bath, and poured a blue-green leftover around the outside. Then dissolved another blue tablet and another green tablet in about a tablespoon of vinegar each (for the record, I tried just dumping them straight in the vinegar-water bath and they just weren’t dissolving, so I pulled them out and went the pure vinegar route to dissolve the tablets first).
It took forever for the dye bath to look exhausted. After about 30 minutes, I remembered from a previous food color dyeing adventure, that red colors seem to sink, and blue colors rise. The bottom of my cakes were looking pretty bare at that point. So I started flipping them over in the water every ten minutes. That helped even out the blue. But the bottom centers still looked pretty red.
After about 2.5 hours of simmering, it was nearly time for bed, so I drained them. The water in the pot was still looking bluish, but it looked pretty clear when I squeezed the cakes of yarn.
I could tell at this point that there will be bare yarn in parts of it. I suspected that there may only be thin bands of color and everything else will be blank.
Next I was faced with two soaking wet vinegary yarn-cakes that needed to be rinsed. So I reskeined them with a niddy-noddy… while wet. Kind of yucky. But eventually that unpleasantness was over, I tied off the skeins at intervals and rinsed them carefully but thoroughly with cool water.
Once dried, this was the result.
Finished egg-dye-tablet-dyed yarn
I don’t think there are any completely bare sections, everything has at least a tad of dye on it, and it has a somewhat speckled effect which is popular at the moment. I’m pleased with the saturation of the colors in the sections that did dye, but a bit disappointed that less area was hit by dye than I’d hoped. Like a long-change or gradient dye technique, there are definite zones to this yarn where the outer edge is one color and then inner edge looks different. I gifted one skein and I’ll probably use the other one for a shawlette or a cowl.
I guess I’ll put these techniques in the back of my mind. This would be really cool for an overdye on yarn that already had some color to it. It was nice to prove to myself that even with my busy life I can squeeze in enough time for a quick and easy dye project now. Kiddo is getting older and needs less constant attention which is allowing me to get more crafting done.
For my next dyeing adventure, I’m going to a real-live in-person dye class with my Mom in about a month that is specifically about long-change gradient dyeing.
Until next time, keep those dye-pots bubbling!